Discovering a new place and familiarizing yourself in the culture of the people who live there is a tremendously pleasant experience. However, it can be even more satisfying if we, as tourists, take the time to learn about the local traditions and travel manners. It’s appropriate to slurp your soup, whistle for a taxi, or point with your index finger in some countries. That isn’t the case in other nations. When traveling, you must be cautious. In a sense, the locals are hosting you in their own country.
Here are a few pointers we’ve gathered for your travels.
- Get to know the terminology. Make it your task to learn a few words in the local language. ‘Hello,’ ‘Please,’ and ‘Thank You,’ for example, would go a long way with the residents.
- In Asia, bargaining is a way of life, particularly at markets; just try to enjoy yourself and avoid being rude. Keep it relaxed and enjoyable for these people who are only trying to make a living!
- You can take your shoes off before entering someone’s home or even some stores. Keep an eye out for signs that ask for this information and always comply.
- Use both hands to transfer the money while paying for something in Vietnam.
- Consume local cuisine. It’s always polite to try the local cuisine, even if it’s not what you’re accustomed to, as part of the experience of traveling.
- If you snap without checking to see if it’s okay, it might be seen as intrusive. As a result, always get permission before photographing locals.
- Until you wreck yourself, do a self-check. In certain cultures, gestures like pointing or displaying the soles of your feet are considered impolite. So that you don’t offend anybody, brush up on etiquette before you fly.
- Check out the tipping customs of the country you’re visiting. It is considered an insult in some cultures!
- When visiting temples or other places of worship, keep your head covered. Dress modestly as well; cover your hands and thighs, as well as any tattoos you might have.
- Attention, PDA users! Publicly hugging or kissing your partner is frowned upon. If you visit Vietnam, Indonesia, or Malaysia, pay particular attention to this cultural taboo and save the love for private moments.
- It’s a major no-no to point at things with your feet, particularly a Buddha image.
- Don’t take any illegal substances! In certain parts of Asia, drug possession carries severe penalties, including the death penalty. So stay away from drugs and just party in a responsible manner.
- Don’t lose your cool. This is particularly significant in Vietnam and Cambodia.
- Pass things over the heads of others.
- If you’re invited to someone’s house, be aware of your surroundings and don’t sit higher than your host.
- Keep your feet firmly planted on the ground; exposing the soles of your feet is impolite.
- Even if you’re not angry, having both hands in your pockets can give the impression.
- It is considered impolite to touch another’s head, cheek, or hair.
- If you want someone’s attention, never use your finger to point at them.
Who is Fun Island Maldives?
Fun Island Maldives focuses on traveling the world and experiencing everything there is to know about The Maldives, a picture-perfect archipelago situated in the middle of the Indian Ocean and home to 1,190+ tiny coral islands! This amazing country is famous for the beauty it possesses and is celebrated as one of the best travel destinations in the world. For first-timers, traveling to the country will be very exciting but at the same time, there is so much more to look forward to and understand beyond the exotic lifestyles.